LBNL Masthead A-Z IndexBerkeley Lab mastheadU.S. Department of Energy logoPhone BookJobsSearch
Documents for Foreign Nationals Print
Wednesday, 02 June 2010 08:51

All foreign nationals (non-U.S. citizens) intending to work at the ALS must ensure that they have all relevant travel and visa documents completed and approved before they will be permitted to work at Berkeley Lab. Owing to increased security measures, it is particularly important to begin the visa application process early in order to avoid delays that may result in lost beamtime, etc.

NOTE: Researchers who are citizens of, or were born in, T4 countries (Cuba, Iran, Sudan, and Syria) need DOE permission, which can take 4–6 months to obtain, and should register with ALSHub as soon as possible to start the approval process.


Requirements for Foreign Nationals

Upon arriving at the ALS, users who are not U.S. citizens must present the following documents when they register at the ALS User Services Office:

  • Passport: Passport must show issue and expiration date, passport number, and photo.
  • I-94 (front and back): The I-94 is placed in your passport by the Immigration and Naturalization (INS) officer when you enter the U.S.
  • Visa and relevant supporting documents as outlined in the chart below.


Visa Types and Required Documents


J1 Visa

F1 Visa

H1B Visa

B1 Visa

or CP Visa






U.S. Visa Stamp U.S. Visa Stamp U.S. Visa Stamp U.S. Visa Stamp U.S. Visa Stamp
I-94 I-94 I-94 I-94
DS2019 I-20 I-797
Medical Insurance Card EAD (Employment Authorization Document)
Student Identification Card
(from home institution)


For More Information

An overview of Berkeley Lab's security procedures for foreign nationals visiting the lab can be found on the EH&S Web page Unclassified Foreign Visits and Assignments.

For additional information about the documentation requirements for foreign nationals, see Berkeley Lab's International Researchers and Scholars Office (IRSO).

For more information about working onsite as an ALS user, see the Registration web page or contact the User Services Office.