The following process MUST be completed online by new and returning users at least TWO WEEKS prior to arrival at the ALS.
Not a U.S. citizen? Please look at Documents for Foreign Nationals well ahead of your visit. Bring all relevant documents to the ALS in order to complete your registration.
NOTE: Users who are citizens of, or were born in, T4 countries (Cuba, Iran, Sudan, and Syria) need DOE permission to work at the ALS, a process which can take 4–6 months to obtain. They should register with ALSHub as soon as possible to start the approval process.
Step 1: Two Weeks Prior to Coming to the ALS
The User Office will inform the main gate of your arrival and will prepare your paperwork so that there will be no delay on arrival.
Step 2: Arriving at the ALS
- Getting to LBNL and the ALS: See visitor information including Maps and Directions, Lab Shuttles.
- Berkeley Lab Security Gate: The ALS User Office will notify the gate of expected users arriving without a valid Berkeley Lab ID badge based on the dates provided by the user, so make sure to
- During business hours, 8.00 a.m.–4.00 p.m: Go to the registration desk on the second floor of the ALS (Building 6) to complete registration and obtain a Berkeley Lab ID badge for access to the ALS.
- Evenings and Weekends: Users arriving at the ALS outside registration business hours must notify the User Office in advance and complete all online forms and training before arriving. Upon arriving at Berkeley Lab, contact the ALS control room (tel: 510-486-4969) to gain access to the ALS building. If you will not have a phone, please ask the guard at the Berkeley Lab security gate to call for you. Unexpected users arriving out of business hours without a valid Berkeley Lab ID badge will not be granted access to, or be able to perform work at, the ALS.
- Bring the following with you:
- Photo ID
- Signed forms from Step 1 above.
- Non U.S. citizens: visa, passport or permanent resident card as appropriate (see Documents for Foreign Nationals for more information)